Awaken Me

ba704aeed1d3ff98213f71f1975897c9

She walked outside the air sacristy quiet

The sky as black as a devils soul

Bulging heavy and foreboding

Sooty clouds churned and rolled

Buckling with aqueous weight

She hugged herself tight

Jutting her chin in brave defiance

As a cacophonous boom reverberated the night

Rupturing the tomb like silence

The atmosphere dense insistent

Heavens vault dragged open its rusty gate

Thundering angry clouds billowed and escaped

Lightening struck with silver tentacles bleeding into the land

One droplet splashed her face dripping a dirtless trail

Then a sheet of pinging needles collided into a heavy gale

As the feral sky spewed its spite against her and the adamant earth

Pools of water joined together rising over her feet

Surging through her toes the mud swirled and sucked

She stood still her feet rooted waiting her fate

The deafening downpour refused to abate

Lashing down in powerful urgency

Demanding acknowledgment no mercy

But on she stood her clothes drenched her fists clenched

A strangled cry escaped her she begged to feel

But all she saw were her sodden clothes she reeled

Turning back she went inside her empty house

To sit in the dark cavern of her loneliness and wait

Poem by Wendy Norman (Seafarrwide)

Image source

1. Henry Game says:

I have come back to read this one, now that I feel I understand your character a little better.
    The first time I read it I was left speechless. I could not think I could add the the compliments you had already received. Now however, I can. I feel that you are describing a sentient being, whether this is within you or no, it is, what do you call them? An “absolute”, this person within this epic poem is coming to terms with the true nature of themself (him or her)
    I often explore the many sides of my own dark and sinister character, this is similar in a lot of ways. To truly be human we must be ultimately evil and unequivocally good at the same time.
    Well done for this piece, I will be sure to re-read and encourage others to read also.
    HG

Thank you, your words mean so much as I consider you so gifted in writing where I am just a beginner at expressing myself and my ideas. This poem came to me one night when I couldn’t sleep I tapped away on my phone while in bed as it was too cold to get up…I was cold inside somewhat too…:)

2. Wow, I honestly don’t know where to begin. The imagery is just remarkable …

Thank you so much! I wasn’t feeling well ate something too rich so couldn’t sleep and somehow this poem came out!

1. It is so much fun to fall that deeply into your words … takes a lot to get me there. Fabulous 🙂

Well I love reading your stories I get quite restless ha ha I appreciate your comments so much 🙂

1. restless is good I think. 🙂 I sent you an email, lol

Oh fab I must change the email account to this as I get hundreds of other emails not from here so I’m lazy in checking it!

1. it doesn’t surprise me you get hundreds of emails … 🙂

Ha ha they aren’t what you think just notifications unfortunately not many with words of admiration 🙂

3. have I lost you ??

Did you message again ?

5. all good now … take care!

3. Cnawan Fahey says:

Wonderful use of metaphorical descriptions, captures the experience of a storm so well. If I understand the last lines correctly, I have been in a similar place – despite one’s braving the elements of existence, one is still lost in a twilight zone of emptiness, aching to feel inspired once more…

I’m so glad you understood the meaning of my poem and my feelings, thank you so much 🙂

1. Cnawan Fahey says:

You’re welcome. If you are still in the midst of this – I trust that you will “feel” again very soon. Tender hugs.